Kimbob's Wineblog

Wine advice from regular people. Most wines blogged are under $10 per bottle. Disclaimer: We are not professional wine tasters. Just because we liked it doesn't mean you will. :0)

Monday, November 07, 2005

Milwaukee Tasting


So, I went to Milwaukee over the weekend to have a Marykay skin care party for my Mom. After the party I went to dinner with my Dad. He took me to the Anchorage on Port Washington Road in Glendale. Except that it was pouring rain, we had a beautiful view of the Milwaukee River. While we were waiting for our wine, a raccoon sauntered past our window and headed toward the river. He was probably looking for a little dinner himself. I had already tried most of the wines on the menu, so we went for the special of the month and were served the last bottle. THE LAST ONE! Maybe they knew we were coming.

Casillero del Diablo (means Cellar of the Devil) Camenere, 2004. $20.00 From Repel Valley Chile by Concha Toro. Alcohol 13.5% It was spicy, smooth, had a slight oak flavor and my Dad and I both thought it was very good.
90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Camenere. After fermentation in stainless steel tanks, 70% of the wine is aged in small American oak for six to eight months, 30% is aged in stainless steel for 8 months.
The appetizer. Daddy'O wanted to try the portabella mushroom. I said ok, I'd try it. The Bob part of me knows how much I loathe cooked mushrooms, I wish he was there to save me. So our server, Dan brought it out, dad cut it and we both tried it. Dad said it tasted "earthy", I said, "as in dirt?, I agree". As we were sitting there, an
Earwig thought he'd join us at our table, he must have noticed the smell emanating from our appetizer and thought he was going home. So Daddy'O caught him humanely in his napkin and gave him to Dan to dispose of. Since Dan is going to college and working part time so he can go into the Marines as an officer who flies fighter jets, I asked Dan if he was going to kill the bug. He said he wasn't. When I questioned this, considering his future, he said he was part of the new, " kinder, gentler and more compassionate military". Hmm. So on to our main course of Walleye Pike for me (you can't get that in Colorado) and Opah for Daddy'O. I thought Opah was German for grandpa. They said it was fish. Maybe they are 2 different spellings. Both were delicious, but I couldn't bring myself to eat the mushroom shaped red potatoes.
So try the wine and if you get to Milwaukee, we recommend the Anchorage and so do the
bugs.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares