Kimbob's Wineblog

Wine advice from regular people. Most wines blogged are under $10 per bottle. Disclaimer: We are not professional wine tasters. Just because we liked it doesn't mean you will. :0)

Monday, July 23, 2007

I drink white, I drink white, I drink white


So I was at Kim and Bob's and in front of me was a TV tray holding a blue-colored glass of white wine (Woodbridge Chardonnay by Robert Mondavi). A fish tank the size of a front door was located to the right of me. The tank's occupants stared with glassy eyes and I tried not to stare back. This was an important night. I was trying to figure out how to taste wine properly.
Kim was trying to teach me.
The first thing I tried to do was to taste Granny Smith apples in the wine. We didn't put apples in the glass, that's just what you're suppose to taste, but since I'm used to slugging it down while my toddler drives me mad, Kim had to spell it out for me.
"It's crispy, refreshing and light. And a little sour. Like Granny Smith apples," she said. Kim doesn't normally drink white wine, so she was doing me a favor. It was a fairly big favor, too, but I think that's just her way. (After all, she's letting a wine guzzling hack like me write on her blog. And, I should add, a wine-guzzling hack who is allergic to red wine. I like it, but the first glass makes my ears Itch, while the second makes my head ache. If I go for a third, I can count on all of that going on for at least two days.)
Back to the white. Yeah, I thought. It's a little sour. Like green apples. I could taste apples and that's saying something because I've been drinking this very wine for six years without thinking too much about the taste. It's the one my husband always buys because I like dry white wine and I'm too chicken to try something else.
Even trying to drink slow, I finished up the first glass while Kim and Bob mulled over their first. I think Bob had left his glass on the fish tank. He'd played Hotel California on his guitar, Kim and I had just finished pretending we could sing it, and he took a short break to drink. He added, "I tasted pears."
"Oh," I said, sipping (why lie, gulping) a little of my second glass. "Does wine change after you drink it a while? Because this one tastes fruitier to me as I go along."
Bob and Kim agreed that it might and said something about what happens to red wine when its opened, but I wasn't paying attention because it occurred to me that I'd never really paid attention to this wine tasting different the longer you drank it and I was rather proud that I noticed something, on my own, about the wine.
I finished the bottle a few nights later and noticed another thing. I had a little smoky taste in my mouth when I ran to answer the door. My husband, George had come home with dinner from Anthony's. I wasn't smoking, so that wasn't it. Could it be the wine? I think so. So, there you have it. Crisp and refreshing. Applie, pearie, and a fruitie-smoky after taste.
I recommend it with ice on a really hot day. I don't need to tell you I've eaten it with everything from quiche to Cheetos, but the bottle recommends you try roasted chicken, grilled fish, fresh salad and creamy cheese. The cost for 1.5 liters is under $10 and it keeps well in the refrigerator if you can't finish it off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares