Kimbob's Wineblog

Wine advice from regular people. Most wines blogged are under $10 per bottle. Disclaimer: We are not professional wine tasters. Just because we liked it doesn't mean you will. :0)

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I Hate North Dakota


Our van broke down yesterday. Well, maybe broke down is an overstatement, it wouldn't start. Not even with the power booster thing we have. It needed a new battery. Since the Bob part of me is STILL in North Dakota, I had to fix it myself. So I went to Wal-mart and bought a battery. I was asking all kinds of questions that nobody could answer. I wanted to know if it was maintenance free, they didn't know, but they thought so. I said, "do you need to add water"? "They said they didn't think so but you could if you wanted to". I wanted to know the life of the battery, they didn't know but if it went dead within 3 years I could bring it back and get a new one, providing I kept my receipt. I told them I didn't WANT to bring it back, I wanted one that would last a long time. They couldn't help. Incidentally, the receipt they give you is printed on thermal paper, it will last about one year before it fades to something completely illegible.
So, I go home and get the step stool out so I can reach the engine, after one trip to Ace for a nut driver, I succeeded in removing the old and putting in the new. I tightened everything down, and I had ignition!


Since I did such a great job in saving money today, I mean I could have called a tow truck, taken it to a service station, bought an over-priced battery and paid to have it installed, I am having some wine. The Bob part of me would be so proud of my thrifty ways.

Jacobs Creek Shiraz, Vintage 2003. Southeastern Australia. Alcohol 13.8%. $4.99. Apparently, it won some awards, but I don't think it's that good. For the price it's ok. It has a licorice flavor that is a little too strong for me. It is also buttery and spicy, but not very smooth in the end. Kind of burns going down. That won't stop me from drinking it though. After a hard day of working on cars and almost breaking a nail...I deserve it, even if it's not the best.

Don't forget to vote in our latest polls !



4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares