Kimbob's Wineblog

Wine advice from regular people. Most wines blogged are under $10 per bottle. Disclaimer: We are not professional wine tasters. Just because we liked it doesn't mean you will. :0)

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Steamboat Springs; Seeing White

It has been so brown in Denver, I forgot how beautiful the snow is. My Dad took a trip to Steamboat from Wisconsin with a bunch of his buddies. I crashed their party last week. I made the 3 hour trek up right after closing our shop. The drive was amazing. He says the skiing is better in Colorado. What? Little Switzerland is not challenging enough for you??!! Come on Dad, they have 5 ski lifts and night skiing! .
I bet Don wouldn't have broke his knee, the first day out, if
you would have just stayed back east. How disappointing. You pay for a week of skiing plus airfare just to end up having surgery on your second day, then stuck in the lodge while your friends are out enjoying themselves. Not to mention the out-of-town Co-pays. On the bright side, Don's surgeon just came back from competing in Turin and he was given a BIG bottle of oxycodone. (Don, not the doctor). On the down side, no wine for Don.

Now, let me just set something straight right now. I DON'T SKI. You could break a knee. Although the Bob part of me loves to snowboard. While he's out ravishing the slopes I wait in the bar and test wine. I got up to Steamboat about 10 pm. They were staying at the Steamboat Grand with a condo looking over the ski runs. Big Daddy'O made a wonderful dinner of baked salmon, fresh sauteed veggies and salad. Jim picked the wine. Turns out he and his wife are fanatics like Bob and I. Since they are older, and probably retired, they actually go around touring vineyards.
During dinner, Dad told a few of his short stories made long, thank goodness for the vino. How does he do that?? Maybe if the stories weren't embarrassing stories which included me, I wouldn't care as much. There was the one about J-Dog and KimBob (both parts of us) polishing off an entire case of his wine at new years eve a couple of years ago. He didn't tell us he was saving it for a special occasion. He didn't tell us it couldn't be replaced. He could have stopped us. Maybe. Picture above, here is Dad (in the purple coat) and Jim (blue coat) on the slope...at least I think it's Jim. I guess it could be Don before the tragic accident.

Five Rivers Chardonnay. Monterey County. 2004. "they say she has a thirst for adventure" From Five Rivers Winery.$9.99. Here's something I learned from Jim. Chardonnay is only good for about three years. I thought the longer you let it sit, the better. Yeah, if you like vinegar he said. I don't drink much white wine, so I had no idea. I did really like this one. It was a little sweet, a little dry it was velvety, fruity and had a smooth finish. It went well with the salmon. I would buy some more.
Dad said, "I like it." (the same guy who tells really long stories).
Jim says, "I taste forward fruit behind my teeth at top of the gumline".

We also tried a bottle of Meridian Chardonnay 2004. $8.99. We all decided it probably would have been better if it would have proceeded the Five Rivers rather than follow it. I thought it tasted oaky and bitter. Jim suggested it was a "musty" taste. After trying again, I agree. Dad thought it was rather bitter too. We all came to the same conclusion. We will need to try it again on it's own. It didn't stop us from finishing the bottle though.

The Bob part of me was in Montana. Sorry Baby, you could have gone snowboarding if you were home!
One more thing, before you go. We need some help. Bob's brother Pete Masitti, Produced and Co-wrote a song being played on XM. But, they really need people to go in a request their song. So please help. Click this link and request " Without you" by Sean Ensign.

Thanks so much! Also, tell your friends!

12 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, February 22, 2006 10:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, Kimbob, if you don't ski, how did you take those very cool pics??

     
  • At Thursday, February 23, 2006 6:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What kind of question is that? You don't have to be a skier to use a camera.

     
  • At Friday, February 24, 2006 11:12:00 AM, Blogger Kim Masitti said…

    Note from the author...I have been corrected, Dad is standing with Rolf and J-dog gets the credit for the pictures, although, I COULD have taken them even though I don't ski.

     
  • At Monday, February 27, 2006 7:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Note From Jim:


    The "retired" Wino. we are going to Sonoma on April 5-9. I'll try to find some new cheap kick ass wines for you' all! :)

     
  • At Monday, February 27, 2006 8:17:00 PM, Blogger Kim Masitti said…

    Excellent! We can't wait...

     
  • At Monday, February 27, 2006 10:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Birthday, Kimbob!

     
  • At Tuesday, February 28, 2006 8:31:00 AM, Blogger Kim Masitti said…

    Thanks Rollergirl!

     
  • At Tuesday, February 28, 2006 9:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So, if Jim's a "retired" wino, what's he doin' going to Somona to buy wine. I just don't get it...

     
  • At Sunday, August 06, 2006 1:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wonder if you got a bad bottle of the Meridian Chardonnay. I just opened a bottle and had no hint of the off-flavors you encountered. Or, maybe I just got lucky. Yesterday, I had an awful bottle of Bolla Valpolicella that seems to be widely admired by everyone who tastes it. I guess that's what keeps tasting wine interesting.

     
  • At Sunday, August 06, 2006 7:38:00 PM, Blogger Kim Masitti said…

    Might be because it followed the Five Rivers. My guess is that if we would have had the Meridian alone, it would have been better. The Five Rivers was really good. I've had the Bolla before as well, I didn't care for it either.

     
  • At Wednesday, November 28, 2007 2:30:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    My guess would be because the wine was affected by 'corktaint'. The 'mouldy' flavour is part of the risk of using a cork to seal the bottle. Depending on who you talk to, between 4 and 8 percent (Australian Wine Research Institute) or Less than 0.01 percent (AMORIM, world's largest cork producer) of all wine is affected by cork taint. You never know until you open and taste the wine, and this taint is one of the main reasons that Australian and New Zealand wine producers started using screwcaps on their wines.

    Anytime you taste this 'musty' or mouldy taste, or if a wine you otherwise know from experience seems comparatively dull, take it back to your retailer for an exchange. The retailers have arrangements with their distributors, and I assure you that any good retailer would be be happy that you returned the bottle rather than drew a poor conclusion of their business.

    Just a 'short' note from an Australian wine marketing researcher, based in France.

    Hope that helps!

     
  • At Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:55:00 PM, Blogger Kim Masitti said…

    Ah! Thanks for the expertise! I will return it next time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares